Is this thing on?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this thing on?

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:19 am

Hello there my people. You're my people now. Deal with it. First off, welcome to the world! This is a forum based RP for Sword Art Online. The point of this is to have fun and spread some creativity right? So that's what we're gonna do. But first! Gotta read the rules. These will be updated from time to time as needed. I will listen to suggestions from any and all members. If the ideas do not heavy favor a particular group of players, nor throw off the balance of the game, I'll honestly try to implement them into the game. Let's do this thing together.

Before getting into the meats and potatoes of this, I wanna express, more than anything, that creativity is welcomed here. You're encouraged to try and create and move your own plot. As of now, I have no plans of creating a personal character. For all I have in store for you guys, I'll be better off strictly as a dungeon master. I will control the monster spawns, loot chances, crafting chances, npcs etc. Simply put, I'll move the plot when needed and sew chaos lol. If you have an idea for something to do, and want to know if it's legal, just shoot me a PM. I'll look over it and let you know if it's legal. Even if it's not legal, if it's feasible, I'll tell you what need to do for it to work. Likewise if you're not sure if something is legal that someone else did. If it's something in general about the game though, ask it in the FAQ. We clear on that? All right, let's get to it.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://saobosslevel.forumotion.be

Back to top Go down

#1 Your Character And You

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Your character is going to be how you represent yourself in the game. It's how you will impact the experience of others. Have I made it seem like a big deal yet? Because it kinda is. When you create your character, it's best to have an idea of how you're going to portray yourself. There are no rules forcing other players to teach you a certain way, nor will there ever be. So if you want to become some kind of leader and build a guild, heh, rhymes, you have to carry yourself like one. I'll give you a few examples of what I mean:

1. You can't be everyone's friend! It's just not possible. When we're OOC, yeah, we're all friends, but in character, there's bound to be conflicts. It keeps things interesting. If you keep trying to be everyone's friend and not take sides, don't act surprised when you end up standing alone.

2.No "go with the flow" characters, please. It's just a suggestion. You're still welcome to be a laid back type, but those characters typically get annoying for those playing with them and those playing as them. I'm just trying to save you some frustration here lol. Think of any laid back character from any story. They don't really be around often, do they? When they are, or whenever they do anything cool, it's normally when they stop being laid back and take a stand on something.

3. "Because I want to" is reason enough. This is free, open, role-play. Even if it's me giving you a suggestion, you're not obligated to do anything, unless you want to. It's your character. Play them as you will. Going out in a party with someone and want to betray them and leave them for dead? Oh well, sucks for them.

4. No one is omnipotent. If your character wasn't present for an event, then they have no knowledge of it, unless it was role-played for. For example, if someone robs another player, but does so while disguised, you can't just know who it was. Likewise, the loot that drops is only seen by the party. You can't act or assume to know what items a player has in their possession. Your character also can only be in one place at a time.

All I'm saying here, is just be aware of how you present your character. Don't be a goofball, always cracking jokes, then get mad when no ones takes you seriously lol.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

#3 What's those stat things for?

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:38 pm

In Boss Level, we have a stat system that will determine your capabilities, not only in combat, but in exploring the world as well. If we didn't have actual factors, we'd have people swearing they could do a roundhouse kick harder than Chuck Norris. The world just ain't ready for that.

Strength(STR): Strength determines your base attack power, carry limit and certain things that would require a STR check. For example, maybe your need 75STR to move a boulder that blocking a secret cave full of loot. Each point of STR gives increases your carry capacity by 4.

Vitality(VIT): Vitality determines you base health and combat regeneration. Each point of VIT gives you 2hp. For every 5 VIT, you passively regenerate 1hp on each of your turns in combat.

Tech Ability(TEA): Not everyone wants to be the Hulk. TEA allows you to use gear with various effects that can act as an alternative to using STR as an attack, if you meet the requirements. Unlike using STR, TEA does not scale with the items that use them. Each have their uses. TEA also enables you to hack various ancient devices, pick locks, etc.

Ferocity(FER): Ferocity affects the speed and accuracy of your attacks and ability to counter them. If your FER if 75% or higher of another character's FER, you can attempt to counter their action. If your FER is 85% or more of an NPC type character, you can attempt to counter their action. Countering will be covered later. FER affects your out of combat awareness. This determines your ability to detect another character that may be sneaking around, as well as the chance of getting ambushed my monsters or spotting them before they aggro, as well as detecting traps. This will also be covered later.

Agility(AGI): This affects your ability to dodge attacks from players and NPCs alike. If your AGI is 60% or more of the incoming attack's FER, you can attempt a dodge. AGI also affects your ability to dodge a trap after it has been sprung. This stat determines your sneaking ability and potential of using speedy or stealth abilities.

Attack(ATK): This is the actual damage you will be causing when attacks are launched. There will be skills and items that increase attack directly, but there are benefits to having more STR as well.

Armor(ARM): Armor is your defense, duh. When you take an attack head on, as in no counter action was made, the value of your ARM will be subtracted from the power of the attack. That will be the amount of damage you receive.

Health: It hits zero, you hit the ground.

Mana: Can't use skills if your tank's empty, bro.

Non-Combat Stats: Non-combative stats skill up somewhat randomly from use. These help improve the quality of life for your characters. You do not have to spend stat points on these. However, to preserve balance, your character can only invest in one. You will have to trade with other players to gain their full use. Recipes can be found randomly in chests and from monsters, or you can take a risk and try to destroy an item to learn the recipe for it. Legendary items have no recipes. So don't destroy one just to get nothing from it lol.

Alchemy(ACH): Determines your ability to create potions, poisons and various other items you may receive recipes for that require this skill.

Smithing(STG): Your ability to create weapons and armor and chance to create a high quality version.

Scavenging(SCG) Ability to gather crafting materials from dead creatures and gathering points. This also gives you a chance of gaining materials from an item that were using to create it.

Enchantment(ENC): Ability to add unique effects to armor and weapons, making them more powerful.

Tinker(TNK): Ability to forge items that rely on the TEA stat.

Cooking(CKG): Ability to create various foods with temporary beneficial effects.

Treasure Hunter(TRH): Allows you to easier spot hidden areas and items. Also improves the chance of more valuable loot dropping for the party.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

#4 Leveling Up

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:54 am

Now we're getting to the fun part. Wait, what? Huh? What do you mean "What happened to #2?" Why you gotta be noticing stuff? Go sit in the corner for disrupting class.

Ahem. In Boss Level, there won't be any hard classes. Your chosen skill set determines your role as a character and in a group. Everyone starts out at level one with 25 points in each stat. Health and Mana will be determined by those stats. As you defeat monsters you will be awarded XP that goes towards your level up. When your character levels up, Health and Mana are fully restored. You gain 25 health, mana and stat points to assign to your character. This can be done no matter where your character is.

Experience gained depends on the level of the monster compared to your own. Monsters that are stronger, yield more experience. Weaker monsters yield less. This can vary from 0-250XP. The level range is 4. Monsters more than 4 levels weaker than you will reward no XP, but still drop items. Monsters 4 levels above you award 250xp. Monsters stronger than that will not grant more XP. When in a group, the character with the highest level will be used to determine the value. Depending on the size of the group, 1-4 characters, and the highest level compared to the monster, a turn value will be given. This will be the total number of turns to defeat the monster to receive an XP bonus. These chains continue as long as the group is constantly fighting monsters that will give them xp. However, as the chain increases, the number of allowed turns will decrease. Will you challenge the most difficult monsters from beginning to end in order have a steady rate of XP, or start with weaker monsters and finish big? The choice is up to you.

Chain #1: +10% XP increase
Chain #2: +20%
Chain #3: +30%
Chain #4: +40%
Chain #5+: +50%

You need 1000XP to go from lv1 to lv2. Upon each level up, the amount you need to achieve the next level will increase by 35%. That means you'll need 1350XP to hit lv3, 1822XP to get to lv4, 2460 to get to lv5, etc. Don't worry. This is just free information. I'll be adjusting that section of your character sheet myself. This just informs you how it's calculated. If you are defeated, for any reason, you 10% of the required XP to level up. For example, if you're lv4 and are defeated, you lose 246 from your accumulated total. Yes. That means you can delevel if not careful. Sucks huh? Adventuring life ain't easy, yo.

There is one thing everyone should be aware of though: Death. If your health falls to 0, you fall to the ground defeated. You are unable to continue role-playing. From levels 1-10, defeat of any kind will revive you in the Town of Beginnings after one day, real time. After level 10, however, things become dangerous. If you are defeated, for any reason, you can resurrect where you are located if you have an item in your possession with the "Auto-Revive" effect. If you do not, you will need a friendly player to find and revive you, within 48hrs. If you are not revived within 48hrs, real time, your character dies. It's SAO, remember? When revived, your character is immune to detection from monsters for three posts. Make them count.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

#5 Skills

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:06 am

In order to acquire new skills, you must visit a Character Center. Character Centers will be in certain towns. Influential players can also meet certain requirements to establish their own Character Centers. The requirements to use those centers will be up to the players that own them. If you are using a player owned Character Center, once they confirm with me that you have permission, it will be allowed. Once you have visited a Character Center, you will be allowed to purchase skills. I will create the skills and create a forum listing them as well as their prices. You have to use accumulated XP to purchase these skills. You can purchase any and all skills. However, you have to meet level and stat requirements in order to equip these skills. If a skill is not equipped, you do not receive any benefits from them. You can freely change your equipped skills as long as you are not in combat. You can have up to a maximum of 15 equipped skills. This includes passive skills, but does not include Legendary Skills.

Le Gasp! What are Legendary Skills you ask? Well, if you show outstanding examples of role-play, like a build up and resolution of a good rivalry, being a solo player and seeing a party wipe to a boss and soloing said boss to save them, or anything epic like that, awards you a Legendary Skill. There is no limit to how many Legendary Skills a character can have, but they won't come easily. You create your own Legendary Skills, but they will be subject to approval. They're not intended to be something OP or that will allow you to be gamebreaking or anything like that. Legendary Skills are simply how you will further your character's uniqueness. If the skill you create isn't approved, I will be happy to help you fit it into the game. Just ask.

If, at some point in your adventuring career, you decide to take a different path, all you need to do is visit a Character Center. After paying an amount of XP based on your level, your stat total will be reset and you are free to redistribute them. Just make sure you have skills to equip and gear to use. It would suck to be lv75, reset your character, and now be super gimped and unable to really do anything.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

#6 Added Effects

Post by Admin on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:27 am

But wait! There's more! While there are no classes here, and you are free to create your character as you see fit, your attacks will gain extra effects if your stats fall into certain parameters. In addition to your attacks gaining extra effects, you gain access to more skills that require said effects and able to chain together for potentially devastating combo effects. They are as follows:

Ice Effect: For those with VIT 25% or more than their other stats, they gain the Ice Effect. Targets inflicted with the ice effect have 15% reduced FER. If you have inflicted someone with the Ice Effect, any attacks they inflict that are weaker than your armor has the difference reflected. The Ice Effect is then consumed and cannot be inflicted on the same target for 5 turns.

Fire Effect: Those with STR 25% or more than their other stats receive the Fire Effect. The Fire Effect burns the target for 5% of the user's STR for three turns. While a target is burning, they receive 5% more damage while dealing 5% less damage. Once the flames have been extinguished, the target cannot be burned again for 2 turns.

Lightning Effect: Adventurers with FER 25% or more than their other stats receive the Lightning Effect. Lightning course through the targets body, stunning them for one turn if they attempt to use an ability for three turns. While the Lightning Effect is active, skills that state they trigger the lightning effect add an additional stun charge and turn. A target can have, at most, 3 stun charges that last over 6 turns. Once the turns pass, or charges consumed, the target cannot be inflicted with the Lightning Effect for 5 turns.

Tinkering: You see the pattern, yeah? Okay. This one is for TEA. Tinkerers mark a target, at will, with Healing Touch for 5 turns. Any PC hitting a target with Healing Touch is healed for 10% of the damage they inflict. Tinkerers can purge the Healing effect to block one attack from an enemy, at the expense of not being able to trigger the Healing Touch effect for 10 turns.

To be clear, when cooldowns are stated for X amount of turns, it is referring to the turns of the user only, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this thing on?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top